- By April W Bowman
- Posted Tuesday, July 20, 2021
Dairy Grants Available for Farmers and Processors
There are grants program for dairy producers and processors to start or expand value-added dairy operations. We would appreciate it if you all would share this among your networks.
Answers to some FAQ's:
1. Both farmers and processors are eligible for these funds, but there are restrictions on how the money can be spent. It is a federal source (USDA-AMS), so typical federal spending restrictions apply.
2. The cap on the awards is $500,000. However, awards above $150,000 have to demonstrate using a significant portion of local milk. There is no cost match requirement.
3. The milk used in these projects needs to be produced in TN, NC, and/or KY. The application should show how local milk will be used or expanded.
4. It is not limited to cow's milk. However, applications involving the sale of raw milk or plant-based products will not be competitive.
Applications will be accepted until Oct 1, 2021.
Those with interest should email - firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com. This is how we are tracking interest/applications and further communication will only be sent to those expressing interest. Members of our Extension team and folks from Howling Cow will be available to help with applications and to discuss the development of proposals. There will be webinars scheduled in the future to help explain some of the rules and the application process.
For more information about livestock programs, email, April Bowman, Extension Agent, Livestock, Forages, and 4-H Youth Development at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 336-703-2855.