- By City of Winston-Salem
- Posted Wednesday, June 9, 2021
Pandemic Rent & Utilities Assistance Application Fair To Be Held Saturday
Low-income residents who are behind on their rent or utilities can apply for assistance from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, June 12, at the Benton Convention Center.
Staff will be available to assist and free parking is available at the Sixth-Cherry/Trade parking deck across from the convention center.
The Emergency Rental Assistance Program provides assistance with rent and utilities, to include electricity, water, sewer/wastewater, natural gas, propane and internet. The program is open to all renters in Forsyth County who have been economically impacted by the coronavirus pandemic and have a household income 80 percent or less of area median income, which varies by household size and is $53,400 for a family of four.
To reduce wait times, fair organizers are requesting that applicants with last names starting with letters A through H come between 9 and 10 am.; letters I through P between 10 and 11 a.m.; and letters Q through Z between 11 a.m. and noon. The fair will run through 1 p.m. to ensure everyone has time to apply.
Applicants should bring:
- Identification for themselves and their co-applicant, if any. (Photo ID is preferred, such as a driver’s license, state ID card, military ID card or passport. Other forms of ID can also be used, including birth certificates, Medicaid or Medicare card, a signed Social Security card or an ID card issued by employer or religious organization/place of worship.)
- Proof of income. (Can be pay stubs for the last 30 days, 2020 W-2 form, award letters for SSI, SSDI or child support.)
- Their lease agreement.
- An eviction notice, or statement or bill from their landlord or utility company showing what they owe.
- A letter of termination, or self-written statement of financial hardship.
More information, including a chart of income limits by household size and FAQs, is posted at CityofWS.org/ERAP.
The webpage also has a link to apply directly online or by telephone, for residents who prefer to apply without attending the application fair on Saturday.