- By Allison Carmola
- Posted Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Could Raising Chickens Be in Your Future?
Chickens are small, easy to care for, and won’t take up your entire yard. When you raise your own chickens, you know what they eat, their living conditions, and how they are treated No need to worry about food safety, antibiotics, or hormones. Chickens produce excellent, nitrogen-rich fertilizer, and feast on weeds and a number of harmful insects. They also make good pets, are a source of entertainment for friends and family, and help you to become a part of the local food movement! Still not convinced? Consider the following about raising chickens:
- Easy and inexpensive to maintain (when compared to most other pets)
- Eggs that are fresh, great-tasting & nutritious
- Chemical-free bug and weed control
- Manufacture the world’s best fertilizer
- Fun & friendly pets with personality (yes, you read that right)
Want to find out more? Join us at Reynolda Manor Library on Thursday, July 15 @ 10:30 am to learn about raising chickens in your backyard.