How to Get a Library Card
Anyone who meets one of the following qualifications may obtain a library card free of charge upon verification of identity and address.
- Resident of Forsyth County
- Owner of property in Forsyth County
- Student or teacher in a Forsyth County school, college or university
- Resident in an NC County with reciprocal borrowing privileges (Alleghany, Davidson, Davie, Guilford, Rockingham, Stokes, Surry & Yadkin)
Find our online registration form and sign up for your Forsyth County Public Library card here.
What You Need to Obtain a Library Card
To be eligible for a Forsyth County Library card, the patron must have official form of photo ID and proof of local address. These requirements can be met by a valid driver's license with a current address or a combination of one from the identification column and one from the address column.
|Passport||Post marked piece of mail with patron's name and current address|
|State Issued ID||Lease, deed, or utility agreement with patron's name and current address|
|Military ID||Car registration or insurance card with name and current address|
|School or Work ID||Checkbook with current address|
|Any other official picture ID||Pay stub with current address|
Out-of-County Library Card Holders
Non-residents may purchase cards for an annual fee of $25 dollars. Non-resident library card holders must apply and renew in person at any location of the Forsyth County Public Library.
Note: Loan periods for library materials vary.
|Print materials (books, magazines, ephemera, etc.)||21 days|
|Nonfiction DVDs and Videos||21 days|
|Audio material (CDs, cassettes, Playaways)||21 days|
|Fiction DVDs and Videos and ebook readers||7 days|
|Interlibrary loan||Determined by the lending library|
Application for a Library Card
- DVDs: $2 per day/maximum fine per item $20
- ebook readers: $5 per day/maximum fine of $250
- Interlibrary loan fines are assesed by the lending institution
- Card is broken
- Signature is old (signed when child)
- Name is not correct (due to marriage, etc.)
- Card has been stolen
- Card has been destroyed by act of nature
- Specialty library cards (Generation Teen)
- Migration from child to teen to adult library card
- Trading up to the most current style library card
- Go to the Online Catalog
- Search for the time
- From the list of results, find the item you wish to reserve and click "Place Hold"
- If you are already signed into your account, verify how you would like to be notified when it is ready and where you would like to pick up the title when it is available. If you are not signed in, you will be asked to sign in with your library card number and PIN and verify your settings.
- If you are opting to receive a notification by text messaging, enter the full 10-digit number without dashes, spaces or other special characters. Please choose the appropriate mobile carrier.
- Click the Submit button. The next page will tell you that the hold was placed successfully or why there was a problem placing the hold.