- By Jacquelyn White
- Posted Monday, June 11, 2018
Making Proud Choices Summer Camps
Making Proud Choices! An Evidence-Based, Safer-Sex Approach to Teen Pregnancy and HIV/STD Prevention is a 4 week camp that provides adolescents with the knowledge, confidence and skills necessary to reduce their risk of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), HIV and pregnancy by abstaining from sex or using condoms if they choose to have sex.
We will be having two camps, one that meets every Wednesday, starting June 13 and going through July 11. And another camp that will meet every Friday, starting June 15th and going through July 6. Each session starts at 11 and ends by 1:30, lunch will be provided to participants.
An interest meeting will be held June 11 at 6pm, to share details about the program and topics covered.
At the completion of the program, youth will
- Have increased their knowledge of HIV, STDs and pregnancy prevention
- Believe in the value of safer sex, including abstinence
- Have improved their ability to negotiate abstinence/safer-sex practices
- Have increased their ability to use condoms correctly
- Have stronger intentions to use condoms if they have sex
- Have a lower incidence of HIV/STD sexual risk-taking behavior
- Take pride in choosing responsible sexual behaviors
A waiver/permission form is needed for teen participation, you can download a copy here
and bring it to the interest meeting or the first day of camp. For more information, please email the Teen Services Librarian.
Where: MakerSpace, second floor of Central Library
Who: Teens ages 12-18
When: Interest Meeting: Monday June 11, 6:00-7:30 PM
Camp One: Every Wednesday - June 13 - July 11 (no meeting July 4), 11:00 - 1:30 PM
Camp Two: Every Friday - June 15 - July 6, 11:00 - 1:30 PM
This program is in collaboration with Forsyth County Public Health, Forsyth Adolescent Health Coalition, and Wake Forest Medical School.