- By Lynne Mitchell
- Posted Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Health Dept to Hold H1N1 Flu Clinic
The Forsyth County Department of Public Health will be offering H1N1 flu vaccine to the risk groups listed below on Saturday, December 5 starting at 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. at the Health Department at 799 N. Highland Ave., Winston Salem.
Vaccines and eligible risk groups:
H1N1 nasal mist vaccine:
- Individuals aged 2 years through 24 years who do not have chronic health problems and are not pregnant
H1N1 injectable vaccine:
- Pregnant women of any age
- Household contacts and caregivers of children younger than 6 months of age
- Children from 6 months through 24 years of age
- Practicing health care workers (individuals who provide direct, hands-on, health care)
- Persons 25 years through 64 years of age who have a chronic health problem (asthma, diabetes, anemia, other blood disorders, heart, lung, kidney, or liver disease)
The vaccines will be offered on a first-come, first-serve basis, and the clinic will remain open until 5:00 p.m. as long as vaccine is available. The line will be closed at 5:00 p.m.
Children under 10 years of age who receive their first dose of the H1N1 vaccine need a booster dose of H1N1 vaccine 4 weeks or later after the first dose.
Health care providers who wish to receive the vaccine on Saturday are asked to bring evidence of their employment and/or evidence of their licensing as a health care worker.
Families are encouraged to be patient with regard to obtaining vaccine for themselves or their children. The CDC is assuring us that there will eventually be enough H1N1 vaccine for everyone who wishes to receive it. However, the vaccine will be distributed to communities fairly slowly over several weeks or months. Local health departments, hospitals, physicians’ offices, pharmacy chains, and others will be providing it to the public. Most individuals will be able to receive the vaccine through their own private health care providers’ offices. For those who do not have a private health care provider, the Health Department will be providing it.
For more information about the flu:
Visit our Flu Information webpage