Handgun Purchase Permit Application (Print all 3 forms)
Pistol Purchase Permit Application
Address Attachment for Weapon_Permits
Pistol Permit Mental Health Release
Application for a handgun purchase permit takes place in person at the Forsyth County Public Safety Center located at 301 N. Church Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27101.
Hours of Operation:
Walk-ins – Residents are served on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday (excluding Holidays)
8:30 am – 3:30 pm
– Residents may select the preferred available date and time for an appointment by clicking the “View Online Calendar” below.
View Online Calendar
Each permit is $5.00.
Method of Payment
Cash or Credit/Debit cards are accepted.
*A processing fee will be charged by the vendor for each transaction.*
- Must be 21 years of age or older to purchase from federal firearms dealer and 18
for a private sale.
- Must provide current/valid identification in the form of either a N.C. Driver's
License or N.C. State Identification Card showing your Forsyth County address.
- Must provide a list of previous addresses back to age 18 or the past 20 years, whichever is shorter.
Applicants will be provided information on when their permit will be available to pick up during the application submission process. Letters of denial will be sent to the email provided at the time of application. Should the applicant not have an email address, a letter will be mailed to the address as provided during the application process.
Applicant must provide a valid N.C Driver’s License or N.C. Identification Card when the permit is picked up.
- Handgun permits are for the purpose of purchasing handguns. One permit is required
for each handgun purchase.
- The permit does not entitle the applicant to carry a concealed weapon.
- Once the permit is approved, the permit is valid for a period of 5 years or until used.
- Permit is not renewable or replaceable if lost or stolen.
- Address and name changes within Forsyth County will be processed if requested for unused and valid permits in your possession.
- The Permits Unit does not provide application status over the telephone or email.