If it is on a road inside the City of Winston-Salem, call City Link at (336) 727-2638. If it is on a road outside the city limits but still inside Forsyth county you may call the DOT at (336) 896-2350 and check whether the road is state maintained and they can pick up the animal. Both agencies will only pick up dead animals out of the road. If it is a pet, you can take it to the landfill.
The shelter is open:
Tuesday through Saturday 10 am to 6 pm 
Closed Sunday, Monday, and holidays

Wildlife Problems, Questions and Concerns are handled by the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission or by calling 
866-318-2401. If the wildlife is healthy, leave it alone. If the wildlife is a nuisance (in the attic or basement), you need to contact a pest control agency in your area.  The Forsyth County Cooperative Extension office can provide educational 
materials for homeowners to assist them with options to resolve their 
wildlife issues.
The Shelter is located at 5570 Sturmer Park Circle in Winston-Salem - on the Northwest corner of University Parkway and Shattalon Drive.
If the adoption was within the last 3 years we should be able to access the information.
If it is inside the City of Winston-Salem, call the Police Department at 773-7700. If it is inside the County, call the Sheriff’s Department at 727-2112.


Forsyth County Code 6-10. Registration of dogs and cats required.
The owner of any dog or cat must obtain a registration for such animals within sixty (60) days after the dog or cat is acquired. New residents shall have sixty (60) days to register any dog or cat.
Dogs Cats
Spayed or Neutered $5.00 $5.00
Unaltered $25.00 $25.00
Failure to register within the proper time period may result in a late fee of 50% of the annual license registration fee. Possessing an unlicensed animal is a violation of the Forsyth County Code. Penalties for a violation may range from a $50 civil penalty to a misdemeanor citation of $95 per unlicensed animal.
All dog and cats are required to be licensed, but there are some exemptions from the fee requirements:
  1. Animals that are working members of public safety agencies.
  2. Animals in the care of a non-profit 501C-3 animal welfare organization as long as sterilization is a requirement of the organization before adoption.
  3. Handicap Assistance Dogs: Fees may be waived for handicap assistance dogs, provided the dog is sterilized.
  4. Hunting dogs may receive a reduced $5.00 fee upon the owner furnishing the County with a valid hunting license.
  5. Show animals may receive a reduced $5.00 fee upon providing three (3) recognized show event registrations per animal.
  6. Fertile animals unable to be sterilized for health reasons may receive the $5.00 registration fee providing a veterinarian provides a written statement explaining the animal’s condition.
Print a Pet Licensing Application. You can license a pet in person at the animal shelter during normal shelter hours, or by mail. Proof of current rabies vaccinations is required and documentation of your pets spaying or neutering is needed for the reduced fee rate. Receipts from your veterinarian generally document whether the pet has been altered as well as the dates of the rabies vaccination. A copy of such a receipt is all that is necessary. No special certificate is required. If you receive an application by mail, simply fill out the requested information and mail it back with the appropriate fee to Animal Control. A license tag and receipt will be mailed back to you.
  • You can print a Pet Licensing Application.
  • Pet licensing brochures that include an application are available at many public buildings and veterinarian offices.
  • You may call Animal Control at (336) 703-2479 and leave your name and address with a request for applications. We will mail them to you.<
  • You can write the application's required information for the additional pet(s) on a supplemental sheet of paper and mail it to us with the original application and required fee(s). Proof of current rabies vaccination and sterilization is required.
Provide us with your name, address, and phone number and information regarding the specific pet. We will inactivate the license account.

You can contact us by any of the following methods:
  • Email from this website
  • Call (336) 703-2479 and leave us the message.
  • Write on your renewal application that you no longer have the pet and send it back to us.
A rabies certificate from a veterinarian showing this information would be sufficient.
License applications are generated from existing databases maintained by the County (required by the state and local statutes). These are the former dog tax ag records and rabies vaccination records.

Wild Animal

Call Wildlife Rehab at 336-785-0912..

Hours of Operation

FHS University North (FCAS) Adoption Hours:

  1. Closed Sunday
  2. Closed Monday
  3. 10:00 - 6:00 Tuesday
  4. 10:00 - 6:00 Wednesday
  5. 10:00 - 6:00 Thursday
  6. 10:00 - 6:00 Friday
  7. 10:00 - 6:00 Saturday

Find us on Facebook!