Who is eligible to apply?

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) requires that the states and territories allow certain U.S. citizens to register and vote absentee in elections for Federal office. North Carolina law allows citizens covered by the UOCAVA to register and vote in state and local elections as well. These groups include:

  • Members of the uniformed services (including Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard);
  • Merchant Marine;
  • Eligible family members of the above;
  • Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and members of the National Guard and Military Reserve;
  • Disabled war veterans in United States government hospitals;
  • U.S. citizens employed by the Federal Government residing outside the U.S.;
  • Members of the Peace Corps and;
  • All other private U.S. citizens residing outside the U.S.

How can I apply?

An absentee ballot may be requested on the Federal Post Card Application Form (FPCA). Voters should apply for absentee ballots in January of each year or at least 90 days before the specific election in which they want to vote. If your mailing address changes, especially between the Primary and General Elections, you will need to send in an updated FPCA.

Visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program website for more information.